The Bellavista elevator was the first of two funiculars that Cerro Bellavista has had. It was inaugurated on July 6, 1899, and the access to the lower station was through Pasaje Condell, where the well-known restaurant "J. Cruz" is located. The booming middle class, active and numerous and the very pronounced slope of the hill made this facility necessary. In 1940 it stops working, ten years later it is bought and modernized, after many stories and after the political ups and downs of the early 70's, the Bellavista elevator would stop working.